Sunday, September 16, 2012

Homemade Honey Butter

The one thing I think of when someone mentions home made butter is the classic episode of "I Love Lucy" when Ethel's hands become stuck onto her churner because she spent hours trying to churn milk into butter (wasn't that a wonderful show?). To be honest I knew making butter couldn't be that hard but I didn't know how to make it. I came across this wonderful cooking website, 15 Spatulas, written by the talented Joanne Ozug, and she writes for those who aren't professional chefs but are interested in cooking and creating fresh home made recipes. She has an easy recipe for homemade orange honey butter. I didn't have orange honey or orange zest on hand so I substituted with regular honey.


Ingredients
1 cup heavy whipping cream
3 tbsp honey
1 pinch of salt
(Optional: herbs e.g. cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, orange zest, paprika, garlic)


Instructions
  1. Pour heavy cream, honey, and any optional herbs into large bowl. 
  2. Using a hand or stand mixer with the whisk attachment, mix on highest speed you can go without splattering cream everywhere (medium high for me) for 10 minutes.
  3. It will take about 10 minutes to take your whipping cream to the butter stage. Let’s break it down.
  4. In the first few minutes, the mixture will turn into honey whipped cream (good to know if I want to make fresh whipped cream).
  5. After a couple more minutes, the mixture will start to clump up, and by the 7 or 8 minutes mark, the butter will really separate from a liquid that collects at the bottom of the bowl. This is true buttermilk!
  6. Once the butter has clumped up, scoop it out from the bowl and form it into whatever shape you like. I usually use a disher to portion it out into little balls. Spread it on pancakes, muffins, toast, whatever your heart desires. Enjoy!!!

1-4 minutes

4-7 minutes

7-10 minutes

Creamy honey butter


 What's your favorite flavor of butter?

4 comments:

Sam said...

This looks so decadently rich, never heard of it before here but I am eager to try your recipe out! Thanks hun

Unknown said...

Sweet butter? Never heard of it, but willing to try.

Random--> I was spraying perfume on this morning and thought of your post lol.

Audrey Allure said...

Mmm sounds great!

Unknown said...

I've heard you can also shake a jar full of cream so long that it becomes butter.. but this is way more up my alley! This looks amazing. Honey butter on yeast rolls is one of life's guilty pleasures.. that I'll never deny.

Thank you for this! Now I HAVE to try it.

The Stylist Quo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...