Friday, June 22, 2012

The LBD Upgrade

Every girl has that one little black dress they cherish but how would you like a high tech LBD? Seems too good to be true, right?  Emily Steel has designed the Little Slide Dress which fuses light, classic cinema and media, and technology. Steel created the dress for her Wearable Technology project from Victoria University of Wellington's School of Design (New Zealand). LED lights are used to bring the individual slides life and are controlled through a light sensor which is then connected to an Arduino Lilypad. The light sensor detects the amount of surrounding light; when there is lots of light, the LED lights remain off  and the dress appears textured and shiny. When little light is detected the LED lights switch back on showcasing the slides. I'm not sure what the slides broadcast, whether it's classic movie clips or personal home movies from the persom wearing the dress.

In this article Steel shares her inspiration,

"The Dress draws inspiration from classic movies and the ‘magic of film’ to create a wearable piece of technology and art… light is so important in the creation and viewing of images [in film] and this was one of the driving forces behind the dress’s creation. With film [we] only see what [is] really going on once the lights go out. For this to work there needs to be a balance of projected and ambient light, something the Little Slide Dress tries to emulate".



The Little Black Dress Gets A Tech Upgrade 
 
 
Would you wear this?
What's your opinion on the merge of technology and fashion? 
 

6 comments:

Ivana said...

Wow, this is seriously impressive! Nice dress!

xx Ivana
Macarons and Pearls

Anonymous said...

wow, how crazy/fabulous is this! amazing .. xo

Tiffany Kadani said...

I am such a classic girl that I don't think I could. BUT, I definitely think if I were to go on a red carpet, I'd do something like that.

Unknown said...

Yes, I would!!
Love ur blog, would you like to follow each other? :)
Kisses

Phuong said...

looks so cool

Travel in Style

Sarah said...

I remember seeing images of this dress a while ago. While I wouldn't wear it myself because the style is a little too modern, the idea certainly caught my imagination! x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...