Friday, June 8, 2012

DIY: Pottery Barn Lamp Knock Off

Now that school is over for me, I've had more time to devote to a passion of mine: DIY projects. Because I live in a small rented apartment, there is very little I can do that I wish I could do in terms of DIY home projects but that doesn't mean I can't go small scale. While on Pinterest (LOVE THAT SITE) I saw an easy and awesome Pottery Barn knock off lamp project. The original post came from The Hand Me Down House. Basically, take a vase, mod podge (made by the saints of arts n' crafts), food coloring, and a make-your-own-lamp kit (Home Depot) and you can make a similar lamp for less than 1/2 the retail price.



$99                                                         $25

Supplies
  1. Matte and glossy Mod Podge
  2. Paper towels
  3. Thick and wide paint brush
  4. Food coloring (blue + green)
  5. Vase or jar
  6. Lamp kit

1) Mix matte mod podge with 3 drops blue and 4 drops green


2) Paint first coat all over vase (not the inside!)


3) Do one more coat (then crumble piece of paper towel and dab on vase for texture - OPTIONAL)


4) Let dry then follow the make-your-own-lamp kit's directions and then viola!

RESULTS! ($22)
 The color is on the darker scale but I also have pretty bad lighting in my living room. I got the vase from Savers ($10) and the shade is from another lamp I have. I'm not too thrilled with the shade and I'm on the hunt for the perfect shade, maybe another run to Target? I got the lamp kit from Home Depot but they can also be purchased from almost every arts & crafts store. The whole project took me about 1.5 days to complete and it IS easy!

Are you into DIY crafts?
Would you rather scrimp and save for the original or DIY?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

ha, fabulous .. almost like your DIY more! ;)

Zarna said...

i love a good DIY! just might have to try this one - i need more cool lamps in my apartment.

-zarna
check out my latest personal style post: Flouncy

grlcreative.com.mx said...

wow great idea!

Visit my Blog

www.ontomywardrobe.com

Sam said...

Aw you're so good with DIY projects, really creative idea and the end results came out fab! Excited to see your creative side!

Sam said...

Aw you're so good with DIY projects, really creative idea and the end results came out fab! Excited to see your creative side!

betty said...

wow this is amazing... ur so creative x

Tiffany Kadani said...

Wow! So impressive!

Jana K said...

Wow, this turned out really well! You did a nice job :) So cute :)

Leanna

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...