Monday, August 27, 2012

Small Changes To Healthier Skin & Hair

Too often we look for the big end all solution to our skincare and hair problems but those are rarely the answer. It's often the small changes that will get you BIG results. I took the advice of my Great-Grandma, friends, and experts and compiled them into 9 easy changes you can do to get healthy skin and hair.


           Put your hair in a loose bun or ponytail before going to sleep to get your hair and its oil off your face, leading to a clean face in the morning and no tangles.  













           
Ditch the cotton pillowcase for satin. Cotton  creases easily and can leave marks on your face. Satin is known for being gentle on the face and can help make your hair shiny.
       











          
Wear facial SPF every day, even in the dead of winter.  Protect your skin from the harmful sun’s rays which can cause early wrinkles and fine lines, not to mention skin cancer. FDA recently released new information that anything higher than 50 won’t be necessary because 50 is as protected you’ll get.















Invest in prescription sunglasses with UV protection. It’ll help prevent your vision from deteriorating, stop the squinting, and protect the delicate skin around the eyes from crow’s feet and wrinkles. 








This next piece of advice comes from my Great-Grandmother, Lenore, who had beautiful smooth olive skin. She said that you’re never too young to start an anti-aging regime. Once you’re over the horrible phase of acne, around age 22-23, find a moisturizing cream and/or anti-wrinkle product, apply daily.  








           
My hairstylist told me that to prevent stripping the hair of its natural oils you should shampoo every other day and condition every day. IF you have extra fine hair, please use a tiny amount of conditioner.








Speaking of conditioner, leave it in for 2-3 minutes so each strand can be fully soak. Think of the extra time as a mini deep conditioner and a detangler.













Rinse your hair with the coldest water you can possibly stand after you rinse out the shampoo/conditioner. Cold water closes the hair cuticles and locks in the moisture which will smooth and de-frizzes your hair. If you can stand it, rinse out the conditioner with cold water











Looking for more shine from your strands? Try apple vinegar, rinse your hair with it once a week or whenever you feel you need to.














 
 The right brush is crucial, steer clear from plastic bristle brushes. Natural boar brushes are perfect for dry hair and wide soft rubber toothed bristled brushes work great for damp hair. Don’t forget to wash your brushes with shampoo once a month to clean it of dirt, dead cells, oil, product, and loose hair.

















Do you follow any of these tips?

What do you do to keep healthy skin and hair?

12 comments:

Nhi said...

I love those advices, thank you!
I mostly do a ponytail before i go to sleep:) it really helps the next morning! since i have really oily hair i try not to use conditioner each time i wash my hair, this helps a little:)
xx

Tiffany Kadani said...

I really really really want to buy some satin pillow cases. I've been saying that for a few years now but never have! Need to change that.

Jennifer said...

Great tips! I definitely always try to have SPF on my face.

xo Jennifer

http://seekingstyleblog.wordpress.com

Sam said...

Hi dear, excellent tips, I need to bookmark this page or at leads print it out with your permission. I could definitely change a few things in my current beauty routine with this wise advice!

Unknown said...

changing your pillow sheet helps so much! I also try to do a weekly hair mask!

love from San Francisco,
Britt+Whit

V said...

I have to agree with you! I've recently made little changes and they are making the world of a difference. I do put my hair back every night and this might sound a little obsessive but I change my pillow case every night.

-V
http://stylishlyme.com/

Anonymous said...

those are indeed some fabulous and valuable tips sweets, thank for your insight!

Tereza {Drastic Plastic} said...

Oh so many things I do to keep my hair and my skin healthy, not so many products, but really good one ones.

Elizabeth {Ms Classic Glamour} said...

Oh, I'm in love with your beautiful blog, dear! I was born in the wrong era too... the 1950s would have been perfect for me. ;)
These tips are right on... I can agree with every single one of them.
Lovely post!
xoxo

Rebecca said...

Great tips! Thanks so much for sharing these!

Rebecca
www.winnipegstyle.ca

Elisa said...

Sitting in bed right now and wearing a oil-hairmask by khadi and reading your post :) Thanks for sharing !!

<3 Elisa

SCSS said...

Great tips! At the age of 26, I'm starting to really care how I treat my skin so that it'll treat me well in the long run :) I'd like to add to your tip as well, personally, I try as often as time permits, to really massage creams into my face to get blood circulating. It great for preventing wrinkles/ facial spider veins and releasing stressed muscles.
Shubana
Love, Shushu

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...